Friday, June 5, 2009

The First 24 Hours in Illinois

Yesterday was completely crazy. It started off with Taylor taking me to work. What a nice treat. It just made my whole day. It made up for the craziness that was to ensue during the following 24 hours after.

After work, we went to lunch and he dropped me off at the airport. I was on my way to Illinois for my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary. My mom bought our tickets online, and therefore I was scheduled on a million different airlines. I was to fly from SLC to Boise, then to Denver, and then to Peoria. I went to Delta, they told me I was on United. Went to United, they said I was on Delta. After frantically making it to my gate, I arrived in Boise to find that United had given up my seat on the flight to Denver. I was supposed to meet my family and fly the rest of the way with them, but they had to go and I had to stay. Luckily my aunt and uncle and their adorable 3 boys were flying out an hour later on a direct flight to Chicago. Even though the airline had no idea where my bag was (details later) I got on the plane hoping that everything would work out. On the flight we watched Gilligans Island, took a little nap, and drank all the free 7 up we could get our hands on.

We arrived in Chicago, I had the twin boys with me, and we were walking through 5 lanes of traffic trying to get to the rental car shuttle. We barely made it out of Chicago and had a 2.5 hour drive ahead of us. We made it to the hotel, met my parents and settled in. I still had no bag, no pajamas, contact solution, toothbrush, etc. My mom was nice and stopped by the local walmart and picked me up a contact case and a toothbrush.

We woke up early this morning, got ready and came to Gmas and Gpas to hang out. I had been trying not to drink Diet Dr. Pepper, but after this adventure, I needed one. I called the airline this morning, and they said my bag had ended up in Minneapolis (seriously?) and that it would be here by 5pm. After that we were on a mission to change my return flight to avoid the same problems. My mom was on the phone with the airline for an hour and a half! Somehow they deleted all legs of my flight except from Denver to Boise. So, after an hour and a half of ridiculousness, I was back on my original flight, and we weren't going to worry about it. Well, not for now at least. I got my bag at the airport, the 45 minute drive took Kels and I two hours (go figure). At least now I don't have to wear the same clothes for 3 days.

I think tonight I am going to sit in the hot tub and soak it all away. Oh, and next time, I'm going to carry on and fly only on one airline.

No comments: