Thursday, April 2, 2009

Weddings According to Second Graders

I got to go and pick up my ring today. My kids have been asking everyday, "Do you get to go pick up your ring today Miss Peterson." They have been very funny about this whole wedding stuff. 
  • Yesterday, the first day of April,  T came in and said, "Miss Peterson, you get married this month!" He was so excited! I had to tell him that although I wish it were true, it's not til June. 
  • The other day we had inside recess (because it was SNOWING!!!) and a few of my girls came up to me with their little whiteboards. Amid their giggles they managed to ask, "Can we have Mr. McFarland's signature?" I smiled and said, "Well, he would have to be here to give that to you." They replied, "No, you can just do it." 
  • Taylor and I talked on the phone at work the other day. He was going to try to come visit me at school. He asked, "Can I bring each kid a Mountain Dew?" Though I knew he was joking, I promptly said "No! You won't have to deal with them the rest of the day. I will." We already know who will be the "fun" parent. Reminds me of all the things my dad let me do when mom wasn't home. 
  • We were talking about families today as my class is working on their autobiographies. I showed them a picture of my family and one little boy asked, "Where is your husband?" Apparently, they think I'm already married. Being engaged is a hard concept for 7 and 8 year olds. 
  • I am inviting my students to my reception and today I was telling them that we would probably have ice cream sundaes. With the way they reacted, you'd thought I was passing out free passes to Disneyland! 

It's been fun sharing all the details with my class. They are so excited for me which makes me even more excited (if that's possible)!  Thanks to all of you who have given your warm wishes and congrats!  

2 comments:

Sitton said...

Oh kids, they can be a pain...but so entertaining:) I bet they will have lots more to saw as the years winds down. Love is a funny thing to them. I am excited we will be teaching together in June so I can hear all the details/plans!

Danielle said...

How exciting!!! Congratulations on your engagement! (That is probably the coolest thing to those 2nd graders...!)